Font settings for the hard of seeing

All things Greatland Gold.
Frodag01
Reactions:

Post by Frodag01 »

Hi
This board is a great idea and I'm looking forward to good honest chat, sharing and analysis. I'd never previously have posted on LSE for fear of abuse and ridicule.
Thanks to all in Admin.
I know you'll be swamped with suggestions, but can I make a request please? Not sure if it's possible but could you change the default font to slightly larger and the font colour to black?
I have sight problems and find the greyer font hard to read. This was always an issue with Microsoft Outlook default as well and I could change that myself but don't think I have that option here.
Thanks again.
Frodag01
spadesAspade
Reactions:

Re: Font settings for the hard of seeing

Post by spadesAspade »

Frodag01, you can change the font size yourself, just like you can on anything else on a phone iPad or Pc.

On an iPhone just drag screen down with finger until you see the aA sign, then tap it and select what size font you want.
100% 125% 150% 175% 200% Easy.

On iPad again same as above.

On Pc just change it within the settings bar at the top.

Hope that helps.
♠️A♠️
Fun_extrachars
Reactions:

Post by Fun_extrachars »

I have to agree here, I'm struggling with the 13px font size and if you run the page through lighthouse it gives some accessibility issues with colour contrast between fore and background colours. A bump in font size would definitely help.

Cheers

Fun.
---
fun - enjoyment, amusement, or light-hearted pleasure.
Masham Ale
Reactions:

Post by Masham Ale »

If you're on a PC try holding down CTRL and turning the wheel on your mouse, or CTRL +/- on your keyboard numeric pad
DipSard
The Oracle
The Oracle
Reactions:

Post by DipSard »

Fun_extrachars wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:19 am I have to agree here, I'm struggling with the 13px font size and if you run the page through lighthouse it gives some accessibility issues with colour contrast between fore and background colours. A bump in font size would definitely help.

Cheers

Fun.
For anyone struggling with visibility on a desktop - simply magnifying the web page will help.

Most browsers have a 'Zoom In' function under VIEW menu or a keyboard short cut dependent on what operating system which is usually displayed in the VIEW menu of the browser.
“Study the past if you would define the future.” ― Confucius
Bottle Rocket - Liam
DEV TEAM
DEV TEAM
Reactions:

Post by Bottle Rocket - Liam »

Your comments have been noted and will add them to my list of things to refine. - I have a few ideas - as it stands, there is no magic button that changes this right now, but that is not to say it is not possible. - Many ways to eat a Kit Kat! :)

Thank you for the feedback.
Liam.
"One mine, three mining areas, a BEAST of an ore body" :!:
Monty
Reactions:

Post by Monty »

I agree the site is hard on the eyes, I have a couple of preliminary design suggestions if I may

I have "stylebot" addon on chrome and in a couple minutes I changed the site to look like the following:
ggpchatnew.jpg
Centred content more by padding sides

Increased spacing, added a drop shadow to post box

Bigger username in post (its nice to see who is posting at an easier glance)

Increased padding on the content of the post to bring it slightly away from edge; I basically wanted to give everything more breathing room and have it not so cramped

This is a direct comparison

ggp2.jpg
Thoughts?
Bottle Rocket - Liam
DEV TEAM
DEV TEAM
Reactions:

I hope this post linked below solves these issues for you.

please let me know if you have any questions I will help where I can.

Liam

viewtopic.php?p=705#p705

This is extreme - but with the new settings applied this image below is +130% and bold.
Screenshot 2022-06-28 155605.png
Liam.
Adrianjuk
Reactions:

Post by Adrianjuk »

Hi all

I have yet another solution that works for me. I can't change the font colour but I can change the size very easily.

I use the Microsoft Edge Browser that should be available on all Operating systems. Mine is an Android Tablet.

Please Note
- This will change the font size for all content viewed with Microsoft Edge

Install Microsoft Edge Browser from the relevant App Store for your Operating System

Open ggpchat.co.uk

Press the 3 dots at the top right of the Edge browser page

Select Settings

Select the Font Size option

Move the slider to the right as far as you need

As I said it works for me because I always like bigger text for all websites

Kind regards
Monty
Reactions:

Post by Monty »

I think the problem goes beyond font size but I will take it design ideas are not welcomed
Costa
DEV TEAM
DEV TEAM
Reactions:

Post by Costa »

Monty...

Why? To both parts of your post?
Gelli Aur
Fun_extrachars
Reactions:

Post by Fun_extrachars »

Bottle Rocket - Liam wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:55 pm I hope this post linked below solves these issues for you.

please let me know if you have any questions I will help where I can.

Liam

viewtopic.php?p=705#p705

This is extreme - but with the new settings applied this image below is +130% and bold.
Screenshot 2022-06-28 155605.png
Awesome Liam, missed that, much easier even at 110%, I did try looking in settings but the writing was tiny :ugeek: lol
---
Bottle Rocket - Liam
DEV TEAM
DEV TEAM
Reactions:

Fun_extrachars wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:54 pm Awesome Liam, missed that, much easier even at 110%, I did try looking in settings but the writing was tiny :ugeek: lol
We only added it this afternoon, Dev team agreed that this was something we should try and change if we could, and found a solution.
Liam.
Fun_extrachars
Reactions:

Post by Fun_extrachars »

Good effort, much appreciated :D
---
Blade1889
Reactions:

Post by Blade1889 »

much better at 110% for me - thanks
Frodag01
Reactions:

Post by Frodag01 »

Thanks very much for the easy fix. I use Android Tablet/Phone so the scroll wheel isn't an option, I could expand the screen but it then means I'm having to move it around to read the full page. I was looking for a way to change the font colour from grey to dark. The suggestion to make it bold has achieved exactly same affect. Increasing to 130% as well, and I'm good to go now and enjoying reading all contributions without having to change it every time. Happy days.
This must've taken ages to set up so all the extra requests will be a pain, but we really appreciate your efforts to make it the best. :D
Cheers
Monty
Reactions:

Post by Monty »

Costa wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:29 pm Monty...

Why? To both parts of your post?
A comparison I would make is If you have to read a lot of text its much easier to do so with paragraphs and proper punctuation

Web design is the same, spacing and clear breaks help your eyes flow over things much easier, that's why I suggested simple stuff like a little more padding here and there, centralising content + a drop shadow on posts etc
Costa
DEV TEAM
DEV TEAM
Reactions:

Post by Costa »

I agree in principle...

But our members have their own writing styles and it would not be good form on the mod part to enforce how they write or their punctuation. The board will respond accordingly.

As for spacings & padding where are you referring to?

Again each user can refine their view using options available. We certainly do not want 'drop shadows' as thats too powerpoint and more akin to presentations.

This place is first, last and always about content.
Gelli Aur
Monty
Reactions:

Post by Monty »

Costa wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:22 pm I agree in principle...

But our members have their own writing styles and it would not be good form on the mod part to enforce how they write or their punctuation. The board will respond accordingly.
You misunderstand me, I was using punctuation in writing as an example and comparing it to web design

You can look at any random forum, for me the random one I just googled below looks much clearer, posters name is clear an obvious, its better broken up, just way more digestible

Small changes can make a big difference
randomforum.jpg
Costa
DEV TEAM
DEV TEAM
Reactions:

Post by Costa »

Apologies.

I understand now what you were getting at. Thanks for clearing that up.

I think it could be related to the 'styles' implemented here. Bear with us, this is work in progress but rest assured we will look at and consider the feedback.
Gelli Aur